Ricky Shelton fights for people and families who have suffered catastrophic injury and loss. Ricky’s background demonstrates the two traits that distinguish his advocacy for clients—empathy and excellence. After graduating college at the top of his class in economics and psychology, Ricky worked for two years as a counselor and social worker for disadvantaged, at-risk teenagers. Ricky then obtained his legal education at one of the top ten law schools in the country. During that time, Ricky worked for the United States Department of Justice and also for a Utah federal judge. Following law school, Ricky spent the first several years of his career at a preeminent national law firm, where he defended many Fortune 500 businesses and large insurance companies in a variety of lawsuits. Ultimately, Ricky’s bleeding heart for the underdog brought his career full circle, and Ricky now advocates for people and families who have endured some of life’s most heartbreaking misfortunes.
Comments from clients:
“Ricky is an authentic lawyer who made me feel taken care of every step of the way. While he was my lawyer, I felt like he was always going to bat for me no matter the circumstances. Getting involved in any kind of legal battle is stressful, but having Ricky as my lawyer took most of the stress away and allowed me to live my life. I would recommend Ricky Shelton to any of my close family and friends.” -Kasey F.
“Ricky handled several personal injury cases for the large insurance company that I work for. I was very impressed with his work ethic as well as his prompt and thorough responses to my questions. He developed creative strategies for his cases. He is a talented writer, which is an important skill because many cases are decided on briefs. I was sad to learn that Ricky was leaving his large national law firm to work for plaintiffs. I will miss working with him a lot, and I hope I never have to go up against him.” -Jennifer B.
“Ricky was my lawyer for a lawsuit and trial that was very hostile and stressful. Ricky was more than a lawyer for me; he was a trusted friend. Ricky has two sides. For his clients, Ricky is caring and compassionate. For his opponents, however, Ricky is an aggressive force to be reckoned with. I could not recommend him more highly.” –Mohsen P.
“I know from experience that Ricky is a talented lawyer. As a manager of a large risk-management company that handles hundreds of lawsuits annually, I have worked with many lawyers over the years. Ricky stands out as an excellent advocate. He has an ability to explain complicated legal issues in a way that is clear and understandable. He empowers his clients to make the best legal decisions for themselves. Plaintiffs are lucky that Ricky left big-insurance defense to be on their side now.” –Sandra K.
Ricky has handled the following types of cases:
- Personal injury;
- Professional liability, including legal and medical malpractice;
- Civil rights, including actions under 42 U.S.C. § 1983;
- Torts, including economic interference, fraud, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress;
- Insurance coverage, including bad faith actions;
- Products liability;
- Securities, including licensing and compliance with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Utah Uniform Securities Act;
- Corporate governance, including shareholder actions and officer liability;
- Contract, including covenants not to compete and nondisclosure agreements.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.)
- Senior Editor, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology
- University of Utah (B.S., Economics; B.A., Psychology)
- Magna cum laude
- Honors at Entrance Scholar
- Subcommittee, Model Utah Jury Instructions
- Federal Bar Association
- The United States Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk (2012–2013)
- Federal District Court, Legal Extern for The Honorable Clark Waddoups (2011)
- State of Utah, Juvenile Justice Services, Counselor and Social Worker (2009–2010)